Hey guess what - it's my birthday! Let's do a recap of the last year of my life, shall we? The first thing to do is look at the wishes I had last year:
1. Stop being baby hungry.
2. Enjoy squash.
3. Place top 3 at nationals.
4. Find a way to compete at a state pageant.
5. See more of my family.
6. Be a better bowler.
7. BYU football not sucking.
8. JGL at Sundance.
9. Snowboarder extraordinaire.
10. MAC in abundance.
The results?
1. Still baby hungry. Severely so, actually.
2. I still hate squash.
3. We didn't even make the finals at nationals, much less placing in the top three.
4. I did find a way to get to state. And then I dropped out for reasons that are painfully obvious to those of you who actually know me [lest you get the wrong impression from my biting tone, I regret nothing].
5. I see my dad daily. And sometimes my brother Scott, but that's kind of it.
6. Haven't been bowling since my birthday bowling last year. For reals.
7. BYU SUUUUUUUUCKED. Jimmer helped a little.
8. No JGL. But that's still an option. CC from GG (Mandy knows what I'm talking about) is also still an option.
9. I went snowboarding once again and I hated it. I'm done trying. Skiing it is.
10. I bought lip gloss this year. That's it. How sad is that?
The final thing on the list? I didn't want to become a bitter, single, lonely Provo girl.
I think I did. [Proof: here, and here, and here, and here, oh and here, yeah this too, and yup, there's more]
Whoops.
I wasn't always single and alone, but each time I became single and alone again, I became more and more bitter. Thankfully this summer has chipped away at that crustiness and I'm managing to find contentment - somehow.
If I had to sum my 24th year into a lesson, I'd say that I've learned that my trust issues are only squashed when I put all of my trust in God, and not in man. Unfortunately there are a couple of individuals who have proven that all too painfully over the last few months, and it sucks, but then I'm able to find peace in the most trustworthy place I can find. So we move on and deal and hopefully I become a better person.
Seeing as nothing went the way I wanted it to, as I am in a completely different position than I imagined, and as the future mostly involves writing my memoirs and convincing myself to not buy everything I see at work, I think I'm going to not tell you my wishes aloud. That's why they didn't come true... right??? I always thought that cardinal rule of birthday wishing only implied to wishes over a cake with candles, but that rule predated the internet, so I guess extenuating circumstances must be taken into account.
I think I can risk this though: thank you to everyone who makes life lovely amidst the things that try to make life loathsome.
I know what I want for this next year, but do you really think I'm going to tell you after what happened this last time?????
See you all at the White Party on Friday!
Tuesday, August 23, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment