Sunday, October 2, 2011

yeah yeah another female empowerment post.

Move along, Matty W. and others who will surely roll their eyes at what's to come.  See?  I just saved you needless eye rolling.

A couple of years ago I posted about that Sandra Bullock/ Ryan Reynolds film and how it pushes this attitude that strong women are beastly villains.

I haven't seen this new Whitney show, but from what I've read of it, I doubt I'd like it.  Call me crazy, but I'd rather watch smart humor that relies on wit and intelligence (read: Arrested Development and such), than something raunchy that pokes fun at all the female quirks that exist.  To make fun of femininity is one thing - but to do it in a way that places masculinity above it is just obnoxious and tired, but for whatever reason most of America still buys into it.

Anyway, read this article .  I think it brings up some really interesting points about female depictions in television, particularly in comedy.

2 comments:

Lydia said...

Ha ha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6FK9fYHysY&feature=youtu.be

@emllewellyn said...

But. REALLY.

"Whitney" is super unfunny. I'm not so sure "New Girl" isn't unfunny too.