Have you ever had the experience of hearing a song and immediately feeling a strong connection to it? Whether it's the lyrics, or the chord progressions, or the rhythm...something within the song resonates and sucks emotion right out of you. You know that thousands of people are listening to this same song, but in your heart you can't help but believe that those thousands cannot hear or interpret the song the way you do, that it speaks to you on a higher level and therefore you have claim. I have several songs that touch me this way and I'm proud to say that they generally end up being the lesser popular pieces from artists (and I choose to believe that it's because my musical tastes transcend those of the popular masses :P ).
I just recently found another one to add to my collection. It stirs up so many strong emotions within, it's melody is so pure that it makes my heart truly ache. For some time I've been wanting to have a solo choreographed, just to have on hand if I ever need to perform at something or another (you all know that I like to switch things up and utilize all of the things that I love) and this song has just become a front runner.
But what happens when you open up about a song that feels so deeply connected to your emotional being? What happens when someone turns it into a series of pirouettes and extensions and what happens when an audience only chooses to view it as technical elements, rather than an emotional whole?
Often I leave my favorite piano pieces or songs to myself because I'm frightened of the criticism that threatens pieces of my soul.
Perhaps I will save this particular song for an audience that cares about more than just the tricks performed for the 35% of your score.
Because if I can't trust the music that drives my heart then I will lose so much of what makes me who I am.
Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment