Tuesday, November 4, 2008

a new era.

Some of you are sad tonight, the man you voted for did not win, but I would hope that those who were in support of John McCain can still be grateful for the opportunity we possess as an American people, that we are able to have this remarkable change of power that happens not as a result of bloody revolution, but peaceful popular vote (which of course leads to the lovely electorate, another entry...). This election was special to me for two reasons. Firstly, because it was my first presidential election, secondly, I've been completely apathetic and turned off towards politics. It has not been something I've become too involved in. Many are reporting that this campaign has gone on for 21 months. 21 months! It's ridiculous how long this has taken and I've become so sick of it.

Tonight, however, I had just gotten home from practice, turned my TV on, and saw the electoral vote soar past the 270 mark and watched the celebration begin. My heart filled with emotion for the steps our country has taken and my cynicism was replaced with an overwhelming swell of pride.

President Elect Obama may not be my preference with regard to health care or the economy, but the phrase "an historic moment" has been said this evening more often than any other and I have to say it as well. I feel a little silly (and in fact was mocked by my SO when I mentioned it), but tears came to my eyes when the announcement was made. I am proud to be an American. I am proud to have taken part in this amazing event. More than anything else, I am proud to have voted for someone who represents the incredible journey our country has taken in providing equality for all and I hope that, as the votes are counted in other states, the ideals of equality will be maintained.

Whew, what a night.

2 comments:

Dad said...

Jen, I had a similar experience. As you know I am very concerned about Obama's economic policies. But tonight as I was watching Obama's acceptance speech, the camera panned to Jessie Jackson - one of my least favorite politicians. When I saw the joy on his face I started to cry realizing that an entire group of Americans had found a sense of acceptance and pride that they have so long deserved. I am so happy for all Americans today - those who have a renewed sense of hope as well as those who understood the absolute necessity to include all individuals under the phrase "one nation".

Dad

Drew said...

Are we really surprised that Obama won? I don't think any Republican would have had any chance this year. So basically they sacrificed McCain.

That being said, I agree with you guys about Obama's policies. Not a fan. At all. But it definitely is a pretty amazing event. Ultimately Obama now has a very incredible, if not a daunting task ahead of him. We will find out if he is truly committed to the principles that he has espoused throughout this campaign. Millions of Americans now have an opportunity to not vilify and despise their leader. I hope the next 4 years are not as ugly as the past 8 have been.