Monday, February 22, 2010

RANT TIME

***The word feminism is rampant in this.  Either deal or move on.  I welcome your discussion and opinions.  It is NOT the F-word.***

I know you've all missed it.  Believe me, so have I.  Whoa, I haven't written a serious rant since October? {in case you missed it, here's my rant against a person who showed a serious lack of class.}

I'm stuck in a hazy world of subjunctive verb conjugations, Chinese history and art, and lots and lots of reading and writing.  I am a Humanities major and I am proud of it.  My mom gets frustrated from time to time, exclaiming, "I sent all my kids to BYU as conservatives and they came out as liberals!"  While I can't speak for my siblings, I can tell you that I am about as Moderate as they get (I like gay people but I also like keeping my money) and I have no doubt that it's come from life experience and learning.  I've learned a lot in the last few years and really feel as though I'm coming into my own as a woman and as a writer.

There's an interesting debate happening over at Natalie Hill's blog.  I like her blog a lot, she has some witty anecdotes with dating and single life in the city, and as a former performer, I love taking a peek into the life I had once desired.  While I skip her Bachelor recap posts (I've never been able to get into it--coming from a person who loves Grey's Anatomy.  Don't worry about it), I enjoy her blurbs, large and small.  She had a post about cleanliness a few months back that caused quite a stir because someone accidentally put her foot in her mouth about Natalie's life experience, but now it appears I'm the one who has spurred the controversy.  I respect a blogger's opinion--it's their blog, they can say what they want to.  I've had people disagree with me from time to time on my writings, something I think is really healthy and vital to growing as an individual.  Good discussion is important, and as Noah Feldman (he's a total fox, BTW) said at a BYU forum, if we want Mormons to be more readily accepted in US culture, we have got to start discussing these things.

{Quick note: I don't know Natalie personally and have never met her, but I was performing pals with her sister Nina way back in the day, and I adore her sister Kara who has started ballroom dancing at BYU.  I would also love her sister Nicole to photograph my wedding when I eventually marry.  It's a seriously talented family.  This is in no way an attack on any individual, her post merely reminded me that it's time to address an issue that is driving me completely bonkers.}

K.  Here goes.

The LDS church is NOT against Feminism and it is NOT a bad thing to be a feminist.  Got it?  If you doubt, I encourage you to go to the church website and search "education women", particularly writings from President Hinckley, President Eyring, and Elder Oaks.  Radical feminism (aka the visual we all get when we hear the word feminist) is not helpful feminism, and certainly not the idea I subscribe to.  Post-modern feminism, and most interestingly, African American feminism, focus on deconstructing social constructs and barriers that limit a human being's potential.  In short, the feminism I believe in is a form of feminism where men and women are not equalized, but rather they are unified.  I do not want a Patriarchal society.  I do not want a Matriarchal society.  I believe in a Priesthood society, where man and woman are one with God.

Men and women certainly have unique attributes and personalities, but to state that one attribute is predominately feminine and another is masculine grossly limits human nature.  My boyfriend, parents, friends, and even teachers will tell you that I am a shark--I know what I want, I know how to get it, I'm intense, and I am as strong and opinionated as they come.  These individuals will also tell you that I'm extremely nurturing, loving, compassionate, and a peacemaker in difficult situations.  By an archaic standard espoused not only by early Christianity, but early American politics and social constructs, I am both feminine and masculine.  I apparently defy the laws of gender roles.

Guess what?  I want to work.  I have serious desire to work.  I want to obtain at least a Masters, possibly a PhD.  I want to teach.  I want to write.  I want to make my own money.  I want to contribute financially to my family because I want my kids to have all the opportunities I had (and I want to retire early).  I want to work because it brings fulfillment and happiness to my life.

I also want to have a family and raise children.  I want to teach my children to read and write the way my mom did.  I want to teach them to play piano.  I want to drive them to their sports activities and ballet lessons.  I want to cook breakfast and dinner and pack sack lunches with silly notes.  I want to teach them to do their laundry and I want to have a family cleaning day each week.  I want to teach them Gospel principles and I want them to see that I try my hardest to be like Jesus.  I want to sew quilts and have family scripture study and most importantly, I want a loving, peaceful atmosphere in our home, conducive to harmonious learning and growth.

I was recently told in a church meeting that as a woman, I am the world's accessory.  That as a woman I should be sweet and demure, attributes that men are most attracted to.  That the world's attack on traditional family means I should be putting my efforts into preparing for homemaking.  {None of this is an exaggeration, by the way}

Nothing is said of finding your divine potential, your incredible worth as an individual.

Women have serious issues we need to overcome.  We have got to find self-actualization and ownership of ourselves.  So many problems stem from poor self-worth and self-esteem and much of the solution is to realize who we are and OWN IT.

I believe I am a Godly individual.  I am intense, strong, motivated, hard-working, passionate, aggressive, compassionate, loving, and nurturing.  To say that the first traits are not Godly not only offends me and my sex, but the entire male sex that identifies with such traits.

We have got to stop engendering personality traits.  We have got to stop forcing ourselves into a binary.  We have got to figure out how to unify.  We may never be able to leave our social construct completely, but we can at least try and improve the state of the world.

11 comments:

Sean said...

I like what you have to say, but just one question - how do you intend to get everything done? I don't disagree and in fact would like to find someone with these same strong interests and attributes. However, it just seems like you're going to end up needing to choose one set of activities or the other, because there's not enough time in the day to accomplish everything.

Jen said...

You bring up a great point. I'm not unrealistic - I know that some days I won't be able to get everything done, but I've seen a lot of women who have done it. Luckily my future line of work is far more accommodating than most. Of course I'll have no idea how to do all of until it comes, but I've always been extremely busy so I'm hoping I can continue balancing everything.

Also, my point is more that there is animosity between the homemakers and the working women. The polarization is frustrating - I guess I'm asking for some moderation and reconciliation between the two.

Oh, and I fully plan on NOT popping out 7 or 8 children, so hopefully raising kids while still writing won't be as impossible...

Dad said...

Jen, I have absolutely no doubt that you will find your way through the compromises of timing - not compromises of soul - that will let you find the life you desire. You are unique in your combination of soft and tough qualities. At the same time many desire a life focusing on the softer side - and do not do well with the tougher issues. Society often characterizes them as less worthy. In the church we do the opposite, defining those who can deal with toughness as less worthy. Go girl - go find your way and keep learning how to disagree with grace.

Nate said...

I don't think you ever have to choose either a family or education/work. I have done both for 2 years now with the mrs working too and it is wonderful. Get a Masters, make some money, have a kid or two, get a phd or two...

And let's be honest, you are not an accessory - that boy in the picture is. I mean, if I was a chika......

Jansen Gunther said...

@ Jen: Bravo! You've articulated exactly how I feel. People are who they are -- we don't need to pre-process their personalities into two categories. There is a vocal minority of zealous Mormons on both sides of the paradigm that misconstrue the Gospel to fit their social preferences. I am grateful there are people like you who provide a voice of re-alignment with the principles of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. I am sure many others share those same sentiments.

Jansen Gunther said...

@ Sean & Jen: success inside the home is paramount to any success outside it. But people with their hearts in the right place can often make success in one category feed into success in the other. Regardless, I think we can all agree these goals, while hierarchical, are not mutually exclusive.

Jen said...

haha Nate! Jansen will hopefully be cool with being my accessory.

Jen said...

Thanks, Jansen. Remind me to thank your parents for raising such an awesome guy.

Drew said...

Jen. Your dad is awesome. And you are awesome. And Jansen will make a good accessory. Hahaha. JKJKJKJK You guys are going to be equal and UNITED.

Lindsey said...

Something I have noticed is that people tend to project their own personal revelation onto everyone else. The prophet and apostles have said the general revelation and it is up to each family to prayerfully decide what is best for their own family based off of that information. When one women feels inspired that she needs to be home she'll preaching to everyone that that is what everyone should do. Women that work also do this. I have been pretty heavily criticized for staying home while having an active RN license. I also have friends who are mothers that I graduated with and they are working. They also have been heavily criticized. I feel very strongly I should be home and not working, my friends feel very strong they should be working. I believe all of us have been guided by the spirit in our decisions. I think no matter what you choose people are going to judge you and criticize you so you just have to be confident in you decision and do the best you can to accomplish all you want to. Sorry this is forever long!

Lindsey said...

Hear, hear mister sister!