Monday, February 8, 2010

review.

In my English 311 course, the assignment was to write about my relationship to art. Music, naturally, seemed the most appropriate and I have a story that I knew I would feel connected to. Enough of a connection to write 9 entire pages.

It was reviewed by a few peers, and because I asked him to, my teacher. I've had a blog for a few years now, where I've written anything from a 4-line essay, to a 2,000 word essay, all reviewed in your minds, whether or not you express it. This was the first time I opened my emotions up to a classroom, and potentially the Mayhew Contest. It's scary to take something that's been an emotional baby of mine for years, put it in an essay format, and turn it in for review. They're not judging my ability to analyze and synthesize ideas and themes in literature. They're judging my emotional well-being and connection.

This is what I want to do.

Creative nonfiction is my thing.

Hopefully Pat Madden will agree.

No comments: