A few years back I competed at Miss Utah. I did okay...nothing too special. I didn't win or anything. But I realized that my technique for a few things is a little bit different. I walk a little differently than the other girls do. I interview a little differently. I formulate my paperwork a little differently. Dare I say it has a little bit more individuality to it? One time I did all of that, but I did it the way someone else told me to do it. Miss Utah was not a good experience that year. The next time around I had a group of individuals who wanted me to discover who I was. Since that time I've continued progressing in that individuality, and I'm excited to help others find that, too.
It all started with helping girls with their pageant walk. Then some mock interviews. Then I judged a little bit. And then I realized... wait a second. Why am I judging, and giving critique that will probably be ignored, and doing basically nothing to help these girls in their journey? My favorite part of pageant involvement was born.
One day I'll formulate an official name, and a title, and a website and all that jazz, but until then, just know that I'm sort of a pageant coach - if that's what you want to call it. I've helped a few girls here and there, and sometimes it makes sitting through that pageant nearly impossible because I'm so stressed out of my mind, but it's been really rewarding to create bonds with some really remarkable young women.
Because I have a tendency to get a little emotionally attached, I can only take one girl per pageant. I don't feel comfortable helping multiple girls while editing paperwork, honing interview skills, and making judgments on wardrobing and talent selections. I want you as a contestant (and possibly even a parent) to know that the advice I am giving you is motivated purely by my untarnished perspective; your information is also safeguarded.
If you're interested in a little help here or there, please feel free to contact me at jen.gulbrandsen@gmail.com. I'm happy to provide a resume and references.
Not winning Miss Utah was really hard for a while, and it wasn't until a few years ago that I realized how many wonderful things came of my experience in that often harsh world. There's no question in my mind or heart that being a part of the Miss America Organization has provided me with multiple skill sets that enable my career path and personal growth. You can take some frustrating and tough things away from pageantry, and I want you to know that my motivation for you will always be to bring out the remarkable talents and strengths you already possess. In short - I'm not molding you to be me 2.0, but encouraging you to unearth and discover facets of who you are, but perhaps haven't quite found on your own. Because in the end, a pageant is a pageant, and one person walks away with a metallic rhinestoned crown. But if you take advantage of what it can offer, you will walk away a stronger and more prepared individual, ready to tackle your future.
Sunday, October 14, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment