Thursday, November 10, 2011

maybe I lied***

Hey friends, so for those of you who are interested in how Jen justifies her purchases, read on.  For those of you who couldn't care less, scroll down two posts and watch Rick Perry implode on command.  And then watch it again.  Never gets old.

So when I last left you on this subject, I was explaining the desire-covet relationship.  Now, just because something becomes a covet does NOT mean you're allowed to suddenly go buy it.  We have to be responsible adults here who pay rent and buy food and give 10% of our increase.  So just because those Sam Edelman heels are the most perfect things you've ever seen does NOT mean you can just drop $200 in an instant.  Believe me.  I have to tell myself this every damn day when I pass them on the floor.

What is worthy of a splurge, then?

For starters, you should probably start looking at your purchases through two different lenses: the "how many hours did I work to pay for these" lens and the "how many times have I worn these since buying them" lens.  Here's a story for you.  Last year, probably around the beginning of September, I walked through Nordstrom and just browsed, because I didn't have a job and I couldn't just spend spend spend, but I saw the most beautiful boots I ever did see.  They were this gorgeous dark bone colored leather - a flat riding boot with the perfectly rounded-but-not-round toe.  They were exactly what I had been searching for in a knee length boot - great with dresses and skirts and leggings and jeans and probably even great with sweat pants and soffe shorts.

They were also really expensive.

I COVETED those boots.  For six months I would put my spare change away, and I would save up from odd jobs I did, and finally, in February, I purchased those boots.  I wore them two days ago, and I still get as many compliments now as I did when I first purchased them 9 months ago, because they are classic, and the right investment.  I wanted those boots more than I could justify, but do you know what?  They may have cost me six months of saving, but in other respects, they cost just a few dollars because of the cost-per-wear I've had with them.

That, my friends, is a buy that is worthy of the large dollar amount.

Here's the thing, though.  If you're going to spend a significant amount of money on a purchase, you should probably stick to a rule for your closet: 40% classic, 20% trendy, and 40% classically trendy (next post).  So buy things that are going to last through seasons, and in order to do that, buy items that are high quality.

AKA don't spend all of your money at Forever 21 and H&M.

I know those 16 dollar shirts are so insanely enticing, but one wash and all of that rayon is going to shrink up and you won't have a shirt to wear anymore.  Rayon, viscose... these are not your friends.  They will get ruined.  You will wear that shirt once.  Maybe twice.  And then it will pill and unravel and shrink and turn grey.  I PROMISE.

Still not convinced?  Look at it like this.  You've got an option of buying a 32 dollar shirt that is really cute, looks good on you, fits a trend, but could also last through a few seasons.  Or you could buy a 70 dollar shirt that is really cute, looks good on you, fits a trend, but could also last through a few seasons.  The difference isn't just the price - it's the materials.  One is a rayon blend.  The other is a silk blend.  You wear one of them 4 times and it's done.  That shirt cost you 8 dollars and you only wore it for a month or two.  The other one?  You bought it two seasons ago, you've worn it probably once a month for the last two years.  Thus far that shirt has cost you 3 dollars and it's still got a lot of life left in it.  And instead of buying a few more 32 dollar shirts that keep ending up at DI, you have a go-to piece that you can remix.

You thinking more about where the money is ending up yet?

Next time I blog about this I'll look into explaining my break down of a good closet, and I'll attempt to verbalize when a piece is a must-have-at-this-moment-even-full-price and when something is better left to find on sale.

Meanwhile, look at these pretty items that are 1. worthy of the price (or at least worthy of a 30% decrease on sale) and 2. great additions to mix and remix for my wardrobe (cough cough).









and finally....

Desire.
Heed plaid cape.  I don't have a cape, and I'd love to have one, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to pay full price for this one - capes will come back in style, but it's still a little too trendy for me.  But it's amazing on the body (maybe perhaps I put it on every single day).

Covet.
J.Crew trench.  This is the most gorgeous camel coat I have ever laid eyes on.  Truly.  I saw it on a lunch break, and I put it on, and it was all over.  I stop in every day to check on it.  It's still in there.  And it's still 325 dollars, so no, I'm not buying it just yet.  But this is going to be exhibit A of the truest justification for an expensive piece because I would wear this coat until I died.  I'm not linking you to it because I don't want you to get it because I want it.


***maybe I am becoming a fashion blogger I'M SORRY I CAN'T HELP IT

No comments: