Friday, November 4, 2011

the drums the drums the drums

It's 12:40 and I should be in bed, or at least texting people about the craziness happening right now, or maybe finding a way to break into the RB so my partner and I could practice since the Universe has decided I'm too old to practice anymore.  But I sort of want to be a fashion blogger right now.  Is that okay?  I'm not actually a fashion blogger - I doubt I'll ever be the type to post my daily outfit (I get enough judgment at work...) and one can only be immersed in their job so much before going crazy.  It's the Half-Yearly Sale though, and I helped a few friends today who were shopping on a budget, and it got me thinking, so tonight I'm going to explain Jen's Guide to a Worthy Buy: How She Reconciles Her Purchases.

I've learned a lot about how I shop, or at least how I used to shop.  For a while my shopping was based around three things: what I would wear to church, what I would wear for a pageant, and what I would wear in that DanceSport class competition (embarrassing, but true).  There was one collective involved in each of these: being judged.  And for those of you who think church is devoid of fashion judgment, well... you clearly have never been to the Canyon Crest single's ward.  The most important element in each was showcasing my high points and hiding my lower ones, and if you don't automatically know what I would consider that to be, then you must not know me well (hint: if you're into my body, you're definitely a leg man and not a boob man).

It was pretty obvious that my strengths in fashion were based around items of a dressier nature: dresses and HEELS.  I've always been the individual who finds an amazing heel, and then must find the right blouses, skirts, or dresses to complete the look.  Put me in something casual, however, and I struggled.  Whitney has countless stories of how I never had something to wear on a date because I just didn't know how to do that easy-breezy-oh-I-just-threw-this-on-but-damn-don't-I-look-good thing that so many girls can do.

PAUSE.  Why does this even matter?  Well, when was the last time you took someone in sloppy clothing seriously?

When I first started at Nordstrom, I went crazy.  For starters, a discount is how they trap you.  Second, I started during the Anniversary Sale, which by the way is the BEST time to shop at Nordstrom.  But seeing the same item on a rack for months straight really proves its worth.  Some things look really cute on that sale rounder even after having been in forever.  Some need to go to that closet at the back of the floor where they can die.  All are dispensable...for the most part.

There are two ways to look at some article of clothing that catches your eye: desire and covet.  Desire is what you are really liking, and the idea of it sitting in your closet is so dreamy, and the thought of wearing it brand new the next day is so exciting.  Covet, on the other hand, is the item that you look at every time you pass it.  The one you run your fingers over.  The one where you are constantly checking the price.  The one you see yourself wearing at DanceSport and at Customer Appreciation Night (10 points on the dollar you guys!) and at the fancy schmancy Holiday party you're hoping will materialize just so you can have more excuses to wear it and be seen in it.

Desire is lustful.  It sits there all pretty-like with its new pattern or bold print or vibrant color, untarnished by a washing machine or deodorant.  It might even have some staying power.  But then a week goes by and you realize it's not actually that special.  Maybe it's made with blended materials, or maybe it's going to pill, or maybe it's going to shrink to the size of a baby shirt.  Maybe you've seen it on someone else and realized that it's just not what you thought it was.  And if you purchased it, chances are it's sitting in your closet, untouched, lonely, and abandoned.

Covet has staying power.  For me, it's the go-to item, which is also usually the item that I can sell with my hands tied behind my back.  It's the Paige skinny in Twilight wash, or the Miz Mooz Kira boot in cordovan, or the silky tee we have in BP.  I love them so much, they're going to love them so much, and then they'll gush over them to other people who in turn will also love them so much.  Do I always buy my covet items?  Nope.  Two months ago I looked at some heels and thought, "I could buy you.  Or I could pay my rent".  It was sad.  But I refuse to have a credit card, so no impulse buys for me.  But you can sure as hell bet that I watched those heels, and guess what... now they're on sale.  And still available.  I mean, there's one left in the company in my size, but I'm really, really good at watching those pieces that I love and know just when to put them on hold.  So am I getting them on sale?  Absolutely - because I've been coveting them, and because two months later, they're still as gorgeous as they were the first time I saw them.

Okay, now I'm tired.  So I'll leave you with my current desire as well as my current covet.

DESIRE


pretty nordic print with great color combinations.  flattering on virtually all body types with this nostalgic, wintry feeling.  I love it - and show it to all customers - but then I remember that it's acrylic (more to come on how I justify my purchases later).

COVET


This photo does no justice to this gorgeous Elie Tahari piece that is just screaming to be worn with those Sam Edelman heels I'll be buying on employee shop night.  Let's face it.  It's sequins.  It's knee length.  It has cap sleeves.  It has full coverage for those of us who erm... need such coverage.  It has perfect structure that isn't seen in this photo.  It's the classic fit in the classic material that will be my go-to dress for every time I need to feel as fierce as Tyra.  It is, however, also almost 400 dollars, so unfortunately it might not happen to this girl...

by the way - desire and covet might become regular things.  but that still doesn't make me a fashion blogger...mmmkay?  

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Acrylic is the devil. Cute sweater, Major cheap manufacting fail. Miss you!!