Monday, March 28, 2011

about face!

Tonight I received a creepy text asking where I was and if I was safe.  Don't worry.  I lied.

But it prompted me to go to the Deseret News site to see if someone was running crazy around Provo with explosive devices, and while I didn't see any of that, I did see some of this.

We all know how much I love kids, and I can promise you that I want to protect their innocence, innocence that is so fleeting thanks to the technology we're blessed and sometimes cursed to have.  But let me ask you this: why in the world are you letting your 5-year-old watch television you haven't pre-approved when it's past seven in the evening?  Once 8 o'clock hits, parents need to have better control of their TV's, because that's when primetime rules for sex, language, and violence come into effect.

Was the show she saw total trash?  I'm sure it was.  I never saw it.  I tend to avoid those low budget shows that are syndicated because no one company wants to claim them.  Obviously I don't want children exposed to indecent material, but it blows my mind that a TV exec would pretend that the fault was with indecency laws rather than his own inability to parent in his home.  He should know better... better than most because he's surrounded by it.

Finally, this article cites statistics of children who experience violence, harsh language, and sexually explicit content because of a television in the home.  What about those kids who experience all of that because their parents are inept and incapable?  Are there some individuals who don't care who they corrupt?  Yeah, probably.  But is the mass media all-consumed with ruining every kid's innocence?  I may be cynical, but I'm not that cynical.

Besides.

Go turn on a news channel.

Tell them to start regulating what they show 24/7.

Yeah, good luck with that.

No comments: