if I'm the only person extremely bothered by the choice made by BYU's PR department in announcing Harvey's withdrawal from school ALONG with the announcement about his on-off gf?
No offense to her, but she's not the big name star that he is. The statement about Harvey makes sense because a lot of alumni money comes from BYU football fans, however, if they wanted to make a statement about her, they probably should have waited a little while. Instead, they chose to fuel the speculation (I'm pretty sure we're all thinking the same thing), completely embarrassing the two in the process. The LDS church emphasizes the Atonement and forgiveness...and then the school releases the proverbial scarlet A.
Honestly? This feels like a warning to other BYU athletes.
How ridiculous.
Sunday, April 18, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Please send me the authorization students sign permitting bishops to disclose confessions (I know it exists) and for the University to announce the results in such a way that it says to the world that they have been IMMORAL. If there is no signed waiver on the latter, then they should sue for slander/libel.
That is pretty sad... but at the same time, according to this http://www.byucougars.com/Filing.jsp?ID=13909, they are the ones who announced it on the same day. I get the impression even if they had decided to announce/publish it separately, everyone would have put two and two together anyway .
ahw..so interesting. byu has frequently fallen far short of its religion's lofty standards. religious institutions are ripe w/ moral hypocrisy.
this leaves me wondering what's worse: a Christian institution w/ double standard for athletes or a Christian institution which instigates public shaming of sinners?
I am obviously critical of the way this was handled. Buruboi raises an interesting question. BYU struggled with the double standard for a long time and to its credit got past that. Here's to hoping this institution, which I am truly fond of, will find its way to a new, more compassionate level of dealing with these situations. Coaches and others commenting on their hope for personal redemption/solutions/growth/etc. is a backhanded acknowledgement/accusation of wrongdoing. A statement expressing sadness at missing future opportunities together without the rest would be much more appropriate.
On a good day, we may be able to discern the right thing. But, even on our best days with our best efforts, we cannot make the 'right thing' happen. How often have we each been surprised that, in spite of our best efforts, the desired outcome was not realized. Not even close! Sometimes we feel devastated by unfairness or injustice when our good intentions end up with disastrous results. I have been, at times, driven by conviction to bring progress for a certain cultural unfairness -- planned, worked hard, taken care of as many people and loose ends as I could -- just to have the desired result come unravelled. What I have learned is that the living and trying is, in itself, enough. I cannot control or sometimes even influence what happens to the words I speak, or what I feel, or how hard I try. I can only be as honorable, truthful, and compassionate as I am able. Most often, I am left with a sense of lingering insufficiency -- but at least I can bring compassion to myself about that these days. I realize that dynamics far greater than me will have their way. I am a small piece -- and my work is to plant, work at, grow, create -- and let be. Margaret
Post a Comment