Monday, March 15, 2010

future rant: sex ed in Utah.

Dear individuals searching for information about my mom and her senate campaign, I can assure you that we do not agree on this subject.

An unnecessary and strange bill was passed in the state legislature last week.

If they can prove you recklessly miscarried your child, they can send you to prison.

Okay, I get it, a girl had her boyfriend beat her up (oh gosh) because she wanted to abort her baby, and you want to create a law in response. But how are you planning on providing proof in other instances?

Utah has some serious problems with educating teenagers about this sort of stuff. And for some reason, the Utah legislature just isn't getting it.

I still need to respond to all of your wonderful comments on my other entry, but think about all of this for a few days.

1 comment:

Lydia said...

I didn't think the law would actually pass. I can understand the idea behind it though-- yes, that woman was a random occurrence (What a miserable way to
do it too... wouldn't it be less painful to just have the baby??) But random occurrences tend to spark trends. (Think Columbine, or car burnings in France a couple years ago; kids would sit around the news every night and say woah! look at how many cars they burned in Toulouse-- let's outdo them here in Lyon!)
That being said: sex ed. I completely agree that sex ed is crucial. Teen pregnancy is up and, oddly enough, those numbers correlate directly with the beginning of "abstinence-only" campaigns. We don't have all the data yet, but let's be honest: abstinence-only programs don't work because the kind of kids that would adhere to programs like that are the ones that already have those types of values, whereas the kids having sex will have sex anyway, no matter what you tell them. So we could at least limit the damage by teaching them the facts. And then we wouldn't have to worry about abortions because undesirable pregnancies wouldn't occur (for the most part) in the first place.
And parents need to talk to their kids openly... but that's another story.

The teens want it too! http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14526277 -- this isn't a first-time occurrence either; there was a demonstration last month as well. I'm actually thinking of doing a story on it sometime soon...