Wednesday, February 8, 2012

my point.

Something's been bugging me for the last day and a half.  Perhaps you heard that a girl in Provo was running along the Provo river trail, and was attacked, and sexually assaulted.  You probably also saw stuff being passed around like wildfire on facebook, "Girls - don't run alone!"  "This is why you don't run at night!"  "Women - please be smart!"

I didn't plan on this turning into a long treatise, but I have a feeling it's going to.  And the few people it's pointed at will probably whine about Jen Gulbrandsen and her feminist idealism and blah blah blah be glad you're out of that blah blah blah bob law blah.  And that's fine.  I expect them to.  And I also expect a text from someone in the morning saying something along the lines of, "why do you even care what certain people think or say?"

Tonight I care because people get raped every day.

By people they don't know.  By a date.  By a spouse.  By a parent.  By a friend.  By a colleague.  By a mentor.  By a teacher.  By a boss.  By a random stranger.

I mean, this happens on a consistent basis and the best we can come up with is "be safe" or "be smart".

Pretty sure women who are safe and smart are raped ALL THE TIME.

Yes, we do need to be safe and we do need to be smart, but how about we start changing how our society views rape, shall we?  How about we start teaching boys to respect girls from an early age?  How about we remind men that women are not objects?  How about we stop telling this girl what she did wrong by running late at night by herself (something she's surely heard a million times by now) and instead focus on what we can do to eliminate this?

I have an idea - why don't we stop deluding ourselves into believing that a little post on facebook or a message board or twitter or anywhere on the interwebs about being "careful" will actually have any measure of change in our world.

My name is Jen Gulbrandsen, and I'm really pissed off.

4 comments:

Katya said...

amen!

Lydia said...

Heck yes. Oh my goodness it gets me so mad. Yet another example of women getting all the burden for virtue. Blegh

Heidi said...

I agree!

Cherilyn said...

Get over it, ladies. So what? Move on. After 40 years of liberation and equal rights and violation against women legislation, we should have figured out by now that no griping or no law is going to change people's attitudes or prejudices.

As a woman running for US Congress I've encountered it all. I'm keeping a record of all the ridiculous comments I've received, including: "Don't you think you should be home with your children?" (No, they've all grown up and mostly married and aren't at home.) "Well, then don't you think you should be with your grandchildren?" (What?! As if I'm not?!)

The latest should make the Guinness Book of World Records sexist comments. Recently a "gentleman" told me that whenever I enter the room I brighten it up and that I should be the cheerleader for the Republican Party.

Really? "Frankly," I said, "I'm not a party girl. And your comment is insulting. I'm a filed candidate for Congress."

Not only that, but I'm by far the most qualified of the candidates.

He explained that during the Senate race, he looked at each of us and the Lord told him the "mantle" had fallen on...Mike Lee.

He further explained that he had looked across the panel of candidates at a recent event and said the Lord inspired him that the mantle had fallen on one of my opponents.

So I boldly but kindly explained that his comment was insulting. "I'm a filed candidate, not a cheerleader."

And, by the way, I too had felt inspired to run for office and I too knew it was what God wanted me to do.

So what! That's HIS problem, not mine.

So you have to be twice as smart, twice as experienced, twice as hard working to get half the whatever...

So what again. Just live your life as you want to live it, be who you want to be, know what your mission is, stop griping and ignore the rest. Win or lose, you'll be better for it.

From one who has been there - many times.

PS Jen, clean up your language. This is your mother speaking. I love you, okay?