This week has been really odd, because I've been "watching" the Tanner kids while their parents, Whitney, and M-ers have been off partying in Cabo. Living in this home has been such a remarkable blessing, and I have no qualms in saying this has been the best "apartment" I've lived in during my young adult, college years. But I was suddenly thrust from being buds to these teenagers to being a disciplinarian, and it's not been easy. I've loved the relationship I've fostered with each over the past year and a half. They trust me, I trust them, I genuinely enjoy spending time with them, and I love them as additional siblings. Let's just say I have a renewed respect for my parents, and particularly my mom.
When my parents divorced, my mom and I moved to California, leaving my dad and little brother behind in Connecticut. She and I became buds because we didn't have anyone else. I'll always be grateful to God for that time with my mother, for allowing me to see her as a remarkable human being who was struggling to do what was right by her children while still finding a way to survive amidst pain and suffering. Her work ethic, her faith, and her strength are the things I hope I'm learning from her - I really hope that I can match those qualities.
Thank you to a mom who forced all of those piano lessons upon me - who would I be without them? Thank you to a mom who found the best teachers I could train with - these wonderful women reinforced what my own mom was teaching me every day. Thank you to a mom who fights for what she believes - I have no doubt that the fight I have within me is a direct result of seeing her passion.
And thanks for seemingly forcing Disneyland upon me - just like piano, and dance, and singing, I lalalove it. I guess you sort of knew what you were doing ;)
Love you, Mom.
Sunday, May 8, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment