Friday, September 26, 2008

blasphemy?

It is my feeling that Nietzsche and his most popular phrase of "God is dead" from this fascinating work is grossly misinterpreted and misunderstood by almost all that criticize.

No, I'm not trying to be blasphemous, but I highly recommend finding a copy of The Gay Science (and no, stop asking me, I'm sick of explaining the title), but rather than stopping at the third sentence of part 3, throwing it aside, and exclaiming "Anti-Christ!" (as a member of our class said he did...side note: he alternated his reading with reading the Book of Mormon because he felt as though he was denying the Holy Ghost by reading about an existentialist philosopher's ideas...I love you BYU), go on a few more pages to actually see and understand what he was intending.

Religious individuals could learn a lot from this non-religious philosopher. Sometimes I feel that he understands the true importance of a glorified God more than many believers.

1 comment:

Dad said...

Nietzsche, Kierkegaard, and Kant did more to expand the human heart than many religious doctrines have. I am not downplaying the very useful impact of structured religion, but these Existential Philosophers really focused on what it means to be human. In doing this, they draw our attention to things that are sometimes drawn into the background of our religious dogmas. Things like connection, both with people and nature -- and like ecstasy and possibility. I have never felt that my reading of these very brilliant people has in any way compromised what I believe about being LDS (which I am, and am very happy to be). Still, I will acknowledge that the richness of my human and religious experience was profoundly enhanced in the reading of the works of these thoughtful minds. Whatever their differences or shortcomings, when compared to any particular religious doctrine, there is also much to be appreciated and gained that helped me experience Truth differently. I have such appreciation and even love for these people who have greatly impacted my life. They do not replace my relationship with my Savior, but the influence of their writings in my life has softened and made my relationship with Christ much more personal and intimate. How can I judge this to be 'bad'? Margaret Johansen