I like black nails. It's not goth - it's en vogue. But remember: patriotism is from within.
I'm proud of my country, but my pride is subtle, fitting my personality. I like being an American; after all, I'm pretty sure we're the only country that eats sno-cones in great abundance. Unfortunately, the fourth of July has become a little ruined for me. All the talk about how we're God's chosen nation and the only country where men are truly free really bothers me, and I simply don't agree with it. God loves all of His children, and in the eyes of a lot of countries, we're actually quite godless.
I don't love being an American because I think the United States is superior to every other country. Besides, Henry Cavill is English. And Chopin was Polish. And gelato is Italian. Even our best food comes from other countries!
I love it because it's what I know, it's what I have, and it works for me. I'm grateful for the life that I have, the people I'm surrounded by, the blessings I receive daily, and the love that I feel from God on a continual basis. Not because I'm American, but because I'm human. I'm grateful for Martin Luther despising the Papacy. I'm grateful for Henry VIII's need to get it on with Anne Boleyn. I'm grateful for my ancestor, William Bradford's (okay, technically his wife that jumped off of the boat) rockin' leadership. I'm grateful that most of my ancestors landed in Connecticut. I'm grateful for my mom's ancestors, for pulling handcarts, and for their legacy of writers. I'm grateful that I live in a place that embraced Anglicanism, Methodism, and Protestantism. It's annoying that they didn't embrace Catholicism or Judaism, and it's annoying that they still don't brace Islamic religions, but we'll get there. I'm grateful for Joseph Smith's bravery. I'm grateful for my uncle who served in the Air Force. I'm grateful for good patriotic colors - red, white, and blue look much better together than green or yellow. There was some serious foresight there.
I'm grateful that France allowed us to beat the English. I'm grateful that the English were willing to take us back and be friends.
I'm grateful that we've got Gershwin and Copland, but I still think Russia and Germany have better musicians (SHOCKER: out of horrible political systems!!).
I feel lucky because I have a really great life and existence. I'm pretty sure my life would be good anywhere, but I'm happy being an American. Carrie Underwood rocked the national anthem last night, but my heart swelled with pride when I heard the Olympic fanfare and theme.
Hey, Williams is American.
I don't think we're better than everyone else. I don't think God loves us any more than others. But I am content, and I am happy being an American, and I wouldn't want it any other way.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
So we went to high school together, but I don't think we really knew each other.
In any case, your reputation preceded you and I'm enjoying the crap out of reading what you've been writing lately.
So hooray for that.
Post a Comment