Saturday, May 10, 2008

Warning: Don't be Offended. Also, a confession.

I may own the series, but I kind of hated Twilight (sorry Natalie and Whitney!!). It wasn't the story I hated (for I think it's highly entertaining, if not a little predictable for the chick lit/fantasy hybrid), but I can't stand the way it was written. My dad and I discussed this concept while on vacation. For whatever reason, I was compelled to read Dan Brown's Angels and Demons. After I was finished, he asked for my thoughts, and all I could say was, "Well, fun story, and entertaining, but ugh, I can't stand the way he writes!" I felt the same when reading Da Vinci Code.

The conclusion is that I'm a bit of a snob, literarily speaking. I like things to be well written, intriguing, with an exquisite vernacular that forces my mind to work, even just a little bit. Innovation is preferred as well. The truth though is that I'm easily persuaded, and if the whole world is reading it, I probably will too. When I began the Harry Potter series right before the 5th book came out, I was so pleasantly surprised to discover that I actually liked it! The story, the writing, the style, the prose, the ability to keep me completely sucked in until the last sentence had me from the beginning. This self-professed book snob actually likes juvenile literature! That's why I decided to see what all of the fuss was about.

In my humble opinion, Twilight is predictable, redundant, slow, long, obnoxious (I'm sorry!), and goes into far too much detail about a jar of spaghetti sauce being warmed up. As Anne Hathaway's character in Becoming Jane says when writing about her intense, passionate loathing of Tom, "No, too many adjectives". Perhaps, more than anything, it's just not my style.

And yet...the trailer unexpectedly made my heart skip a beat.

Oh the shame!

I suppose I will be seeing this film after all.

2 comments:

Whitney Tanner said...

I loathe anything Dan Brown writes. I never understood the hype those got. I didn't even like the story much!

Miss Maclaine said...

I'm glad that you quoted Becoming Jane... love that movie. Who knew Mr. Tumnus could be so attractive?

P.S. Lets play